1.09.2010

day 19 in the NICU

another early morning phone call..this time I was already awake...7am they called to say that around 5am her SATS weren't coming back up so they did another XRAY and found yet ANOTHER pneumothorax on her right side..this time it was lower so the chest tubes that were already in place weren't able to get the air out..so they placed another one in...which she did fairly well and her SATs went right back up to the 90s. I was dreading going in today after a discouraging day yesterday...I felt better seeing her though. Yesterday her face swelled so much she was almost unrecognizable which was so upsetting but i felt better about it today. I think i cried enough to hold me over for a few more days...

I talked to the doctors for a little while and they made me feel a little better. A little more at ease....After I was done talking and asking questions the nurse let me take her temperature..which i was happy about--i like to be involved as much as possible and its the little things like that that make me feel better...

They went down on her oxygen to 70..WOW i havent seen it that low in forever...but she dropped her SATs a little so they bumped it up to 80 and a little while later she started moving a lot so its back up to 100. At least she got a little break from 100...glimpse of hope.

When her SATs dropped a little i put my finger in her hand and she squeezed it a few times.. :D She loves me. I let go and went over to the other side of her bed to look at her face and thats when she started dropping her SATs...could be a coincidence but I think its because she wants me to hold her hand all the time...

Just before dinner her SATs were staying low so they did another XRAY..and what do ya know..ANOTHER pneumo! what are they doing to my baby!!? This time it was on the left side...shes got 4 tubes on the right and just 1 on the left. They said it was a pretty sizable one on the left and there was a little air on the right...so while the NP was going to get stuff to put in another chest tube the RNs were propping her left side up to try and move the air out of the right side...and air came out of the tube on the left side! So for now they were able to get the air out of the left side without placing another chest tube in. When we got back from dinner they were trying something new...they put several inflatable "things?" under her bed(they are normally used on older peoples legs) to try and make a rocking type motion to shift the air around and out the tubes...it makes sense and sounds like a good idea...i dont want any more chest tubes going in my baby! :( hoping i dont get another 4am phone call...unless its to say she is healthy and ready to come home...

No comments:

Post a Comment